COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions
Thursday, 9 April 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic and response is throwing up a constantly evolving range of challenges and risks to society as a whole - and the veterinary profession in particular. Whilst government is providing significant direction at a society wide level, private veterinary practitioners have been contacting the AVA seeking guidance specific to how they should be managing and operating their businesses in a safe, legal, responsible and sustainable manner.
Please note that the situation is changing so rapidly that information can become out of date very quickly. These FAQs are intended to provide general guidance only and the AVA urges members to seek professional business, HR and medical advice as appropriate.
To assist veterinarians and others working in animal health care, the AVA advocacy team has produced a list of FAQs and answers as follows:
- Should veterinary practices be operating a "two-team" roster?
- Can veterinary practices utilise telemedicine technology to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission?
- Should veterinary practices still be accepting veterinary students, trainee veterinary nurses and high school work experience students during the COVID-19 lockdown?
- How do I access Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and how should it be used?
- What veterinary services can or should be provided as essential services” during a comprehensive shutdown?
- What vaccinations should be continuing?
- What allied services are considered essential?
- What financial assistance is available for veterinary practices?
- What HR resources and options are available to help practices manage issues around staffing during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What mental health support services are available to veterinarians during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What protocols can be implemented to allow an owner to be present at a euthanasia?
- What protocols and procedures can I implement in the practice to decrease the risk of veterinary staff against COVID-19?
- Is there a shortage of veterinary drug supplies?
We will continue to update as the situation evolves. AVA intends to continually publish FAQs on a regular basis and encourages members to submit questions and concerns to AVA so these can be addressed and communicated to members.